I’m not sure
how a nice girl like me ended up in this predicament…but it’s a little better
than the one I was in last night, because at least I have my talk with me
today!!
President
Porter asked me to speak on how I have seen the Lord’s Hand in my life through
my ward family. President Spencer W.
Kimball stated “God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another mortal that
He meets our needs.” I am thankful for
the chance to share how my ward family did just that for me during a difficult
time in my life.
In early
2008, our family discovered that we were expecting our 5th
child. We were very happy to be
welcoming another precious spirit into our home. But the results were not what we were praying
for, and the year that followed was the longest and hardest that I have ever
experienced. We ended up losing three
precious little ones during that difficult year. Yet I can testify to you that I have never
felt as close to my Savior or my Heavenly Father as I did during that long
year. Many times, during that year, my
ward family reached out to love and serve me.
I want to share just a few of these experiences with you.I was serving as the Beehive advisor then, and we were preparing for Girl’s camp. Before we lost our 1st little one, our camp director chose Alma 26:12 for our camp theme. After our baby died, I was very discouraged. I had prayed for a miracle, that somehow our doctor would be wrong and our baby would be okay. When that didn’t happen, I blamed myself, thinking that if I had just had more faith, my miracle would have happened.
During this
time of discouragement, I happened to read our camp scripture: Yea I know that I am nothing, as to
my strength I am weak; therefore, I will not boast of myself, but I will boast
of my God, for in his strength I CAN DO ALL THINGS; yea behold, many mighty
miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name
forever.
As I read
this scripture, I realized that I was trying to rely on my own strength, and
not my Heavenly Father’s. I also came to
know that sometimes the miracle is getting through the trial placed before you,
not having it removed from you. That
scripture became my motto, I even modified it a little. There were many hard days when I would tell myself
“In his strength I can do ALL THINGS, even this crappy, sucky hard thing.” Our camp director selected this scripture
BEFORE we lost our baby. Heavenly
Father was aware of my needs, and ministered to me through our camp director,
before the need was evident. That was
amazing and humbling to me.
When we lost our 2nd baby, William,
I was again overwhelmed by the love of my ward family. One instance that has always stood out was my
first Sunday at church after we had delivered our baby. I remember going to Beehives with my girls,
and being in such pain, physically, spiritually and emotionally. As we finished up our lesson, I watched with
a humble heart as my girls all knelt in prayer to break their fast for me. I
have never felt as loved by my girls as I did then. It was incredible to me that these sweet
daughters of God cared enough about my sorrow that they would fast in my
behalf.
That year,
when our family met with our Bishop for tithing settlement, he asked us to
kneel in prayer with him. I can’t
remember a single word that he said in that prayer, but I will never forget the
overwhelming spirit of love that filled the room. I knew that this good man loved my family,
and was aware of the needs in our home.
In March
2009, we lost our 3rd baby. I
was devastated. I had told very few
people that we were expecting, so hardly anyone knew of our loss. I have never felt as sad, alone or broken as
I did at that time. I started praying
for my Father to please take away the desire for more children to bless our
home. At that time, a sister in the ward
who didn’t know of my heartache, shared her own trials with me. She shared a scripture that had brought much
comfort to her. It was D&C 98:1-3
“Verily, I say unto you my friends,
fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea rejoice evermore, and in everything
give thanks.
“Waiting patiently on the Lord, for
your prayer have entered into the ears of the Lord of Saboath, and are recorded
with this seal and testament-the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be
granted.
“Therefore he giveth this promise
unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all
things shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory saith the
Lord.”
As she
shared her testimony, my heart was filled with peace. I knew that my Father in Heaven had
ministered to me through this sweet sister being willing to share her insights
and love. I was once again blown away by
his mindfulness of me.
As time
passed, my heart and soul began to heal.
I prayed for the patience to accept the Lord’s timing. I started to think that if there were
supposed to be more children in our home, the Lord would find a way to get them
there. But I couldn’t let go of my doubt
and fear.
The Bishop
had challenged us to read the Book of Mormon by August.
I was reading, but I fell behind in my reading, and was still in Ether
the next February. I was reading Ether
12, and my heart was again blessed by Heavenly Father. As I read verses 6 and 12, the words jumped
right into my heart.
“…faith are things which are hoped
for and not seen…ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith…
“For if there be no faith among the
children of men, God can do no miracle among them; wherefore he showed not
himself until after their faith.”
As I read
these verses, I knew that I had to let go of my doubt and fear. I was asking for a miracle, and I had to be
willing to do my part. I tried to trust
in Him and let go of my fears from that time on.
In April, we
were excited to learn that we were going to have another baby. The next Sunday, I told our Relief Society
sisters during the Good News Minute. I also
felt prompted to ask those sweet sisters to pray for our little one. It was because I had felt so loved and
supported during times of struggle, that I knew I could ask this of them.
I wasn’t
prepared for the outpouring of love that I received from my ward family. I want to share just a few examples of the
love they shared with me.
One dear
friend prayed for me every time she drove past my house. She also fasted for me every fast Sunday
during my pregnancy.
One of our
primary children remembered to bless our baby every time it was her turn to say
family prayers. She didn’t have to be
reminded long after her brothers and sisters had forgotten.
As I was set apart as a member of our Primary
Presidency, our Bishop promised that our home would be blessed with every
needful thing as I served willingly.
When I would get worried, I would tell the baby that he was VERY NEEDFUL
thing in our home.
As my
pregnancy progressed, the love of our ward members became even more
evident. The bigger my belly got, the
more it was patted and rubbed. I told my
husband that I was starting to feel like Buddha. I wanted to tell our primary kids that it
wasn’t LUCKY, just BIG!! But I truly
knew that my ward family loved me, and the little one soon to join our ward
family.
On December
14, we welcomed Joseph Richard Wilde into our home and family. He is a happy, healthy, strong boy, and truly
is a miracle to us. He is a testimony to
me of the power of faith and prayer, united with love.
As I look
back on that time of sorrow and trial, that ultimately led to faith, hope, and
many miracles, I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father. I am thankful for my ward family, who kept
their baptismal covenants, by mourning with me, loving me, serving me, and
praying in my behalf. I truly have felt
the love of my Father through their efforts.
One of my
favorite quotes is by a poet, John Greenleaf Whittier: “Thee lift me, and I’ll lift thee; and we’ll
both ascend together.” My ward lived
this principle beautifully, and we were all blessed because of it. As we love and serve one another, we all grow
closer to our Father in Heaven.
I bear
testimony to you that the Lord is aware of our needs. He loves us, and is mindful of our trials and
sorrows. I know that my Savior lives,
and that he knows my struggles. I am so
grateful for His love and light in my life.
Yay! I loved your talk and the opportunity to read it over was wonderful.
ReplyDeleteSo so glad you shared this a prefect thing to read on sunday. Thank you for all your support
ReplyDelete