Just a few of the indicators that you may be a Mom trying to get young kids to church:
- You always wear tops and skirts. This way you can nurse easily. Plus, if someone spills Cheerios on you right before you leave, hopefully you can find another shirt to match your skirt.
- You ALWAYS walk into Sacrament Meeting just as the Opening Song finishes. Every week, you try to be on time, but there are always last-minute emergencies that crop up and foil your plans.
- If you do, by some miracle, make it to choir practice or your early morning meeting on time, you are the only one there, or it has been cancelled!! (Or it was LAST Sunday and you missed it!!)
- You have to get up REALLY early to get everyone ready, so that you can HOPEFULLY get there on time. Sometimes, you end up there with a wet ponytail and no makeup. (Or you look over at your boy and think,"Huh, pretty sure I didn't fix Reed's hair today!!")
- You tend to sway back and forth all the time, regardless of whether or not your baby is fussing. Sometimes I do this and then realize that somebody else is holding the little guy.
- You time your nursing so that it coincides with Sacrament Meeting. This way you can listen to the speakers without worrying about what the REST of your brood is up to. (This one only applies to Moms with lots of other kiddos)
- You have a GINORMOUS bag that weighs about 25 pounds. It is stocked to the brim with snacks, The Friend, crayons, coloring books and QUIET TOYS. The hope is that it will keep your children reverent and occupied for at least the hour and fifteen minutes it takes to get through Sacrament Meeting. Alas, this hope is in vain, for the tribe always gets restless about 15 minutes in. (I forgot about the diapers, wipes, extra jammies, lesson manuals and scriptures that are jammed in there, too!)
- No matter how cute and put-together you look when you walk out the door for church, you end up with spit-up, dried milk, smushy-goo crackers or baby drool on you. I cannot make it through a Sunday without at least one child getting kid-paw on me in some shape or form. I don't think it is humanly possible!!
- You tend to wander the building aimlessly (or FRANTICALLY) after the meeting looking for one child or another. Somehow, they can never just come and find you, or stay in their classes until you come to get them!!
- On Monday morning, your house looks like the fallout zone from a Nuclear Bomb. No matter how clean it was on Saturday, Sunday wreaks havoc in our home. I wake up to dirty dishes, mountains of laundry, and general chaos everywhere. It is, after all, the day of rest, so all we do is eat and make messes!
All kidding aside, I love my kids, and I am grateful that I can share the Gospel with them. I know that the efforts we are making today are worth the rewards that will come from raising these sweet children. There is no place I would rather be with them on Sunday, even if it is a LOT of work!!
Hats off to all you other Moms out there who are working so hard to do the same for your crews!! Someday, they will rise up and call us blessed for our efforts today! (I HOPE)
PS- I'm changing blog my over to private, so if you would like to continue reading my babblings, kindly send me your e-mail address, and I will invite you!!

Please invite me. I love to read about your little family. My email is teresajlake@gmail.com
ReplyDeletecrookstoncorner@hotmail.com
ReplyDeletek-toone@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteLoved this post. SO true to life!
ReplyDeleteSooo true!!
ReplyDelete