CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 20, 2012

I am a mother!

My intention was to write about the blessings of motherhood on Mother's Day.  I ended up being out of town and away from all my sweeties except the baby on Mother's Day. So now I am playing catch up, and finishing the post I intended to write last week. What a gift it is to be a mother!!  I cannot imagine a greater blessing than the opportunity to raise these beautiful children.

Mind you, that doesn't mean that motherhood is easy-breezy lemon-squeezy.  Just like all other families, our lives are filled with the challenges that are routine when you are raising kids, with agency and minds of their own.    Trust me, these walls see their fair share of fighting and disobedience.  Which, of course, leads to disciplining and other growing pains.  I would be lying if I told you that I haven't sometimes thought that maybe free agency should be reserved for those who are old enough to make wise choices.  Then I remember that scripture that states that we should learn wisdom in our youth, and realize that not all of our lessons can be easy.  Sometimes, our children have to learn from the consequences of their unwise decisions.  Oh, how I HATE being the enforcer of CONSEQUENCES!!!

I wanted to focus on the things that I LOVE about motherhood.  But I don't want to be repetitious or bore you to tears, so I am going to do the top ten.  There are many more things that I love about this most important of jobs (and a few things I don't love), but we'll stick to these ten.  Here goes:

  1. Love that moment when you see the pink line or the plus sign.  You know, the one that makes you think, "Oh boy...things are about to change again!!"  Love knowing that I am sharing my space with somebody new, love that feeling that a miracle is happening, and I am a vital part of it.
  2. Love that first stirring or kick, when it becomes so real in a whole new way.  Granted, by the end of nine months, I am a little tired of all that kicking, but at the beginning, I LOVE them, and the comfort that comes from knowing that if they are kicking, then things are okay in there.
  3. Love holding that miracle for the very first time.  I just don't know how anyone who has gone through pregnancy and childbirth can NOT see the love of God when they hold that beautiful little one in their arms for the first time.  Even red and screaming, and covered in grossness, they are a miracle and a gift from God.
  4. Love that new baby smell...you know you do, too.  But I also love just how needed I feel with a newborn baby.  They are dependent on me for EVERYTHING, food, shelter, clothing, love, truly without my care, they would suffer greatly.  I love being able to give them all that they need, even if it is for just a short time.
  5. Love watching them grow and change and develop.  Although for me, sometimes it is hard to let them do just that, I love watching them learn and become better each day.  Granted, not all their lessons are easy, but I can always see that they are better for the mistakes that they have made.
  6. Love hearing them laugh.  From the baby's giggles when you tickle his toes, or give him raspberries on his tummy...to the big one's laughter as they play and tease together, I never get tired of hearing their laughter.  Especially when it is because Dad is teasing them.
  7. Love working with them...when Madi was little, she used to go around the house singing "It's a Hard Knock Life" from Annie while we would work.  It always made me smile, she was such a willing little worker bee.  Now, they are not as excited when it is their turn to scrub the potties, but they always help when I ask (okay sometimes I have to ask REPEATEDLY and FORCEFULLY).  But I still think that it is good when we work together as a family.
  8. Love playing with them...this is just as important as teaching them to work.  It is so fun to watch them laugh and play together.  One of my favorite things to do with my kids is watch Saturday morning cartoons.  I know this might seem dumb, but growing up, I remember loving to watch cartoons with my brothers and sister before we had to do our Saturday work.  Because I loved it as a kid, I want my kids to love it, too.  I just want my kiddos to know that I love being with them, no matter what we are doing.
  9. Love how they love me...from thinking my dinners are the GREATEST, to thinking I am the smartest, I love how unconditionally they love me.  I know it's not true, but it is gratifying to have someone think that you can do no wrong.  Boy, will I be sad when that changes.
  10. Love watching them grow in faith.  I think that kids come pre-wired to believe in God, and to have great faith.  Many times, their testimonies and faith have strengthened me, and I am privileged to watch them become stronger and love the Lord more with each blessing or trial we are given as a family.
Sometimes, I look at the world around us, and I am very discouraged.  I see wickedness and sorrow, darkness and despair.  Then I look at the children that I have been blessed with, and I am filled with hope.  Yes, this world is becoming a very wicked place, but these spirits that God is sending to our homes are so very strong.  He knows the plan, and He knows what he is doing.  I feel so very blessed to be a mother in Zion at this time. 
 
I pray that I will be able to live up to the words of President Hinckley:
If anyone can change the dismal situation into which we are sliding it is you.   Rise up, O women of Zion, rise to the great challenge which faces you.
I hope that we will all look to our children, and see the joy that they are meant to be.  Happy late Mother's Day!!

1 comment:

  1. You are very eloquent with words. I too love being a mother. Now that my children are grown (mstly) I pray that I have taught them what they need to know. My heart breaks with some of their choices and I sometimes hate their free agency and yet I know that it is part of the plan. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Followers